12.14.2010

Fat Cat

On my break today at work I was reading this article on stress in Allure magazine. It was quite interesting - witty too - I really enjoyed the content. There was one thought in particular that made me laugh out loud.
Robert L. Leahy, director of the American Institute for Cognitive Therapy in NYC points out: "Animals don't have the capacity to worry about anything that might happen more than 30 seconds from now. 'Consider that cat' he says. 'No cat has ever wondered, Did I offend that other cat? or Is my cat ass getting fat?'" I'm pretty sure I literally pictured a cat looking in the mirror thinking is my ass fat? ha!

The main thing I took from the article is the real importance of relaxation. I'm talking about relaxation beyond sleeping or napping. Taking time for yourself to decompress and not feel pressed by life's worries. Reading, doing nothing, listening to music, doing art, working out, whatever releases tension. I've been working myself to bits lately, and while my body functions best at high intensity, my sanity has been suffering. I'm happy the holidays are approaching so I have some time to get away, sleep in, and just do nothing! I'm not sure how well that will work out, but I'm looking forward to it none the less. I'm especially looking forward to my flights. Being on a plane gives me an excuse to zone out to my ipod or read about the Kardashians without knowing there is something far more productive I could be doing. If only I were flying over seas...

No comments: